As today`s topic I would like to briefly address online privacy.
Online privacy? Is that the mythical thing you find chilling with the elves, unicorns and that winning lottery ticket you never bought last Saturday?
The biggest culprit here I would like to call out is facebook. Yes you, facebook, we all love you, but what`s up with the demands of “give me your real name”…and your phone number.
Here are my reasons for not using my real full name online (except on professional networks):
- I have had a co-worker stalk me on facebook, take what I said out of context, show it to my boss and get me into trouble. Simple as that. Since then I have never ever used my real name on social media accounts I keep for my spare time activities ever again.
- Your acquaintances, relatives, frenemies and that kid who was mean to you in 6th grade will all stalk you…and they will send you a friend request if they can find you, you have been warned 😀
- Your potential employers will look you up – are you 100% sure the professional face you want them to see is what you are currently sharing with all the world?
- Clients/customers will look you up and mix up your personal life with how you present yourself in your professional life…unless you keep a strictly professional profile of yourself in your real name, which is a different thing altogether.
- I still can`t delete that old myspace account I made in my real name 10 years ago for which I lost the password and the e-mail login – nothing ever goes away on the internet.
- I can find people – people cannot find me unless I want them to. This is in terms of people I meet in real life.
- A pseudonym or second name creates a safe space for me to express myself without it being mixed up in my everyday life…unless I want it to be mixed up.
Reasons why I do not share my mobile number with any social media:
- What benefit is there from them having my number anyway? My phone number is not a Bat-signal for call centres – I get enough PPI calls as it is, thank you very much 😀
So what do you think? Do you use your full real name on social media? What are the pros and cons of doing so?